[horde] IMAP Connection failure

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri May 20 02:59:14 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> A couple of times over the last week the horde 4 IMAP client has thrown this:
>
> A fatal error has occurred
> Error connecting to IMAP server: [0]
> 1. Horde_Imap_Client_Base->openMailbox() /var/www/horde4/imp/mailbox.php:87
> 2. Horde_Imap_Client_Socket->_openMailbox()
> /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Base.php:803
> 3. Horde_Imap_Client_Base->login()
> /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php:777
> 4. Horde_Imap_Client_Socket->_login()
> /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Base.php:597
> 5. Horde_Imap_Client_Socket->_connect()
> /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php:268
> 6. Horde_Imap_Client_Base->_exception()
> /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php:438

[snip]

> I realise what it is saying, that for some reason it has been unable
> to connect to the IMAP server (Cyrus IMAP is on a separate virtual
> server on the same hardware) - it's just such an ugly way to throw
> the error. An immediate refresh of the page brings back the Horde /
> Imp interface, so the comms interruption is only momentary.
>
> Is there any way to config a timeout, or retry? Or maybe a more
> graceful way that the Horde IMAP client could handle an error of
> this type?

There's already a timeout option.  And how would a retry help?  It
makes no sense to do a retry every second for a networking error.
Networks are up or down, they don't normally shift status every second
these days.  Plus, PHP is time limited per access, so a reasonable
retry rate (e.g. 30 seconds) will time out anyway.

michael