[horde] VFS questions (was: old horde_vfs entries - delete?)

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 15 10:56:43 UTC 2011

Zitat von Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:

> Hello,
>
> following up older thread:

> [...]
> [...]
>
>> Zitat von Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:
>>> "a while" like "a few years"?
>>>
>>> What kind of data are stored there btw?
>
> On 03.05.11 15:16, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> All kind of data, linked attachments, contact attachments, user files etc.
>
> Can I limit the size of data that users will store to VFS?

Only if you use a backend that supports per-user quota, like FTP. But
that could cause problems.

> Can I prevent some kinds of data (e.g. linked attachments) to be stored
> there (at least for longer than it's needed?)

Don't use linked attachments. Or configure different VFS backends for
the different VFS usages in Horde applications.

> For linked attachments, are they needed to be stored in database during mail
> composition? Are they needed at all?

It's a feature. It's your choice if you want to provide this to the
users. It's also your choice if you store them in the database or
anywhere at all.

> I found out that some of the data are MEGABYTES long and were really changed
> some years ago.

Yes. So?

> Is there any way to configure what data are allowed to be stored in VFS and
> for what time?

There are a lot of different usages for VFS, and each place takes care
of garbage collection or deleting files regularly fro VFS if it makes
sense.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/