[horde] Repackaging Horde

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Jun 21 03:38:53 UTC 2011

> Quoting Gordon Dickens <gordon at dickens.com>:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I work on another open source project, Exim4U, which is a web based
>> user interface and integrated software configuration for the Exim
>> MTA.  In the past we have bundled Horde with a modified theme and
>> custom images so that its appearance is consistent with the rest of
>> Exim4U.  So, my question is: How feasible is it for us to continue
>> bundling Horde 4 given that you have adopted the PEAR based
>> installation method? In the past, we have simply worked from the
>> Horde tar ball which, as far as I know, is no longer available.
>> Also, I have noticed that your PEAR installation method installs a
>> good many Horde executable scripts in the /usr/bin directory which
>> might complicate things as well.
>> So, is there a Horde 4 migration path for folks that bundle Horde
>> with other packages given your adoption of the PEAR based
>> installation method?
>
> What about checking the code directly out of our git repository? You
> could then structure the bundle however you want.

Definitely the way to go if you want to use your own patches. Use a
decent patch queue manager to apply your patches on top of our release
tags and you should have a stable and reliable path forward.

An alternative could be to install Horde PEAR based into a fixed
directory and tar that directory later. As long as you untar it into
the same position later it should be a self contained installation.

Cheers,

Gunnar