[horde] Horde 4 migration from 3 - what should we expect?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jul 17 11:26:00 UTC 2011

Zitat von D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> I did the webmail-install step and pointed Horde 4 to
> a copy of our Horde 3 webmail database in mysql.
>
> Afterward, I visit the configuration setup as an admin
> user of webmail and I get green indicators for all applications.
>
> In Horde webmail portal, I don't see the blocks I had set up
> in Horde 3.  Is that expected with this major upgrade?

No. The portal layout should be migrated to the new format
automatically on first log in to Horde 4.

> Will users need to set up their horde portal page again
> or is this an indication something didn't work with the
> upgrade?

The latter.

> The webmail-install script doesn't give much information
> about what it is doing - I think it might have even said
> "installing tables" rather than something like "upgrading schema".

Because it doesn't make a difference between those cases.

> I'd like to see a guide on upgrading which has the focus of
> how to upgrade and migrate with little downtime for users.
>
> I typically set up a newwebmail.example.com, running from a
> copy of the previous version's database, and tweak it
> for some days until I'm ready to roll it out.  The problem is
> if people have updated their apps with fresher
> data in the meantime, it is lost when I switch newwebmail.example.com
> into webmail.example.com (production).

This the case with any kind of migration.

> I can't dump the production Horde 3 DB again and
> refresh the Horde 4 DB after doing setup and tweaking config php files,
> or else the settings are lost and Horde gets confused.

Huh? How so?

> Some settings depend on a hybrid of config php files and
> database values which need to be changed through the web site.

Can you elaborate?

> I feel Horde has not focused enough on supporting the installation
> for existing deployments, while we are probably the largest
> group of Horde users.

We have written tons of code to migrate databases, preferences, etc.
as flawlessly as possible. We also documented any of the hundreds of
changes that are important to administrators.
Can we do even more, or better? Sure, if *any* of these things would
be sponsored. Fact is, people only pay for new features. Supporting
and migrating old version and documenting anything is *completely*
volunteer work.

So you make a very broad statement, that's simply not true.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/