[horde] Horde 4 migration from 3 - what should we expect?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:01:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> Zitat von D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> I did the webmail-install step and pointed Horde 4 to
>> a copy of our Horde 3 webmail database in mysql.
>>
>> Afterward, I visit the configuration setup as an admin
>> user of webmail and I get green indicators for all applications.
>>
>> In Horde webmail portal, I don't see the blocks I had set up
>> in Horde 3.  Is that expected with this major upgrade?
>
> No. The portal layout should be migrated to the new format automatically on
> first log in to Horde 4.

Then there is a bug, or the documentation needs improvement.

I'm going by this link:

http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/UPGRADING

The section called : "Upgrading a Horde Groupware Webmail
Edition 1.x" refers to "Upgrading a Horde Groupware Webmail
Edition 4 or later", which refers us to only INSTALL instructions.
There is only one paragraph starting with "After updating to a newer
Horde Groupware Webmail Edition..." which states anything specifically
related to the 1.x to 4.0 upgrade.  Rather thin on details.

It says to "update anything that's highlighted as outdated".  I don't
get anything showing as outdated when I arrive at the configuration
setup page in the app.  I get green checkmarks next to every app
as soon as I see the config setup screen in the web app.  I have not
taken any action to update schemas and I don't see anything showing
as outdated.  Does that mean the upgrade didn't happen
and I've got a fresh install instead?  I need more details on exactly
what I should expect to see and how upgrading is handled.

Here is what I've done each install with upgrade attempt:

1. set up pear to install horde4 in a new target dir, and then install.
2. mysqldump the horde3 DB into a file.
3. create a new DB for horde4, bringing in the horde3 dump as source.
4. run webmail-install, pointing it at the new horde4 database
5. open web page at newwebmail.example.com and go to the Administrator
    section for setup.  Everything shows green check mark, nothing outdated
6. all portal settings are default - lost from 1.x, even if I logout
and log back in,
    which likely signifies other aspects are not migrating either
(have yet to test).

>> I can't dump the production Horde 3 DB again and
>> refresh the Horde 4 DB after doing setup and tweaking config php files,
>> or else the settings are lost and Horde gets confused.
>
> Huh? How so?

Well, it seemed that way to me.  I probably had some sort of botched
upgrade, but I don't really know as I don't know how the
setup screens should have behaved when coming from 1.29.

I dumped the Horde 3 DB to a file, brought it into a new DB for Horde 4,
leaving the config files as they were.  Afterward, the access to the inbox
spun wheels but nothing would happen, but the rest of Horde web app
seemed normal.

I've done several upgrades from 1.x to newer 1.x, but never had problems
with settings being lost.  For 1.x, the setup configuration would always
show database schemas needing to be updated, which I would do
with a mouse click, if I remember correctly.  This isn't happening
for 4.0 in a couple of attempts I've made, starting from a new DB
and new parallel location install from pear each time.

>> I feel Horde has not focused enough on supporting the installation
>> for existing deployments, while we are probably the largest
>> group of Horde users.
>
> We have written tons of code to migrate databases, preferences, etc. as
> flawlessly as possible. We also documented any of the hundreds of changes
> that are important to administrators.
> Can we do even more, or better? Sure, if *any* of these things would be
> sponsored. Fact is, people only pay for new features. Supporting and
> migrating old version and documenting anything is *completely* volunteer
> work.
>
> So you make a very broad statement, that's simply not true.

I don't feel 4 paragraphs make a full installation upgrade documentation.
I'm seeing some tips inside the config/*.php files about using
"local." files or .d style config directories.  Other than this, I've never
found additional documentation on Horde 4 configuration specific
around migration from 1.x to 4.0.

I did see:

http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/INSTALL#configuring-horde-groupware-webmail-edition

Is there more I've missed?  Perhaps I'm just not finding the hundreds
of documented changes on the web site.