[horde] Extra ActiveSync attributes from iOS

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Thu Jul 21 11:15:09 UTC 2011

Quoting Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>:

> --- On Wed, 20/7/11, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
>>
>> That should work, assuming you add the appropriate
>> attribtues to turba/config/attributes.php and have a field
>> to store the values in. Also, you should read through the
>> mapping code in Turba_Driver::, there are already some cases
>> where the mappings don't neccessarily work as you would
>> expect, I don't have the code in front of me at the moment,
>> but IIRC, the email mappings are not a 1:1 mapping as you
>> show above. If the work/home email fields are presented,
>> then *only* those are used ... otherwise the "plain" email
>> field is used.
>>
>> Finally, I'd have to verify that all of those fields are
>> supported by the version of AS that is supported by Horde
>> (some AS fields were introduced in later versions). I assume
>> they are since the device should know what version it's
>> using, but I'd have to check the wbxml codepages to be
>> sure.
>>
>> > If I make those changes to Drivers.php I assume it's
>> not a "Drivers.local.php" version, which means next upgrade
>> will break my changes - is it worth me doing those and
>> submitting a patch file back to Horde?
>>
>> The bottom line is, if the changes you introduce do not
>> conflict with any existing mappings and make sense, then
>> they can be included in future releases.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --mike
>>
>> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
>> mrubinsk at horde.org
>>
>> --Horde mailing list
>

> Could this be adapted not for MySQL but for LDAP ?
> I have a similar scenario with Dovecot/Horde/LDAP
>
> Just throwing ideas here. . .
>
> Cheers,
>
> s.

Spyros

The problem with LDAP is that you are bound by the schema and
attributes so much more. I had been using LDAP for several years as my
Turba backend, but when I started trying to get it to play nicely with
ActiveSync it all got too hard. The InetOrgPerson object class is
fairly limited, and does not allow anything like enough attributes to
effectively map a full set of data from iOS and ActiveSync. At least,
i am sure it can, but it starts becoming very hard. And then throw in
multiple email addresses, dates (Google either of those with "LDAP"
and see what you come up with) etc, and OpenLDAP starts looking less
and less attractive as a useful contacts store.

So I shifted back to SQL - at least there I can define my own data
store fields... disadvantage is that some more of my user data is now
no longer in LDAP, so needs separate management. But given that Horde4
has lost the ability to store prefs in LDAP (at least for now) then I
am having to manage SQL anyway...

Simon