[horde] Horde , LDAP, finally managed to make up my mind :-)

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Aug 4 16:01:37 UTC 2011

Quoting Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to thank Craig for his good help.
> He wrote an excellent e-mail delivered to my personal address.
> I don't know if this helps, but if it does, I can forward the
> e-mail sent to the list.
>
> Anywho, with Craigs' help, I finally decided and made-up my mind
> on where to store my contact info for horde.
> At some point, I thought MySQL. This is no longer the case.
> I will go with LDAP. But first I will have to wade through a couple
> of books on LDAP. The internet doesn't have much info as far as
> LDAP by example is concerned.
>
> One critical question though  (and I don't know how to say this) :
>
> All this is happening for a specific purpose. To have people
> work their Horde account and/or Thunderbird application and/or
> their new smartphone play nice with their contacts list.
> What exactly will I be able to store on these records ?
> E.G. will I be able to store more than two or three e-mail
> addresses ? More than two or three Mobile phones ?
> More than two or three landline phones ? Skype phones ?
> I think you get my drift.
> The reason I am so picky on this is because I would like to hit
> the nail on the head and not go back to the drawing board at a
> later time and re-design everything from scratch.

I don't use LDAP, and have very little experience with it so I can't
speak to that portion of your question. From Turba's point of view, if
you can store it in your backend, you can add it as a contact field.
As far as smartphones go, the types of and number of fields you will
be able to use depend largely on both how you plan on syncing them and
the specific device's support for the protocol you choose. You will be
limited by the protocol (such as SyncMl or ActiveSync) that you are
using.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)