[horde] Horde , LDAP, finally managed to make up my mind :-)

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 07:42:11 UTC 2011

Hello Craig / Everyone :

--- On Fri, 5/8/11, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Horde , LDAP, finally managed to make up my mind :-)
> To: horde at lists.horde.org
> Date: Friday, 5 August, 2011, 6:58
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 16:47 +0100,
> Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
> > Hello,
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> I'm quite sure that I told you that it is far easier to
> implement MySQL
> than LDAP - especially if you don't have a working LDAP
> setup or
> knowledge of how to setup & maintain it.

Yes, I do remember you writing that.

> Even if you get LDAP setup and functional, there's no
> guarantee that
> what Horde maps for attributes will be what your telephone
> maps for
> attributes will be what Thunderbird maps for attributes but
> Horde has
> really flexible mechanics for attribute mapping and it is
> after all, a
> captive client. Just because you can store 3 phone numbers
> and 3 e-mail
> addresses in LDAP doesn't mean that you will find a way to
> map them to
> your telephone or Thunderbird which will have a lot less
> flexibility
> than Turba (which is absolutely brilliant).

Main target for this is Turba and not Thunderbird.
However, users who are "addicted" to Outlook have always shown
that they prefer "Thunderbird" instead of Turba for mail handling
/ editing etc. That's why I brought Thunderbird to our conversation.

> There are absolutely no standards for address books and
> everyone does it
> differently and the Nokia phone you buy today with Meego
> will not be
> remotely similar to the ones that they start shipping later
> this year
> with Mango (I'd avoid Nokia phones like the plague at this
> point).

Intereing point. I did pretty thorough research before ordering
the E6. What can I say. Maybe at some point we can discuss this
further off the list (since it's off-topic). Thanks for the
advice.

> Again I will tell you - go MySQL backend - it's so much
> easier.

Yes. And I know MySQL pretty much. However, I feel challenged to
also learn how to setup and administer LDAP.

> The Internet has thousands of theories of how LDAP should
> be set up and
> none of them are compatible with another and it actually
> can be a real
> problem if you try to mix different people's
> implementations.

Duly noted.

> Learn LDAP - it's absolutely worthwhile. But use MySQL for
> this project
> and if you actually figure out how LDAP works, you can
> switch later.

I intend to learn LDAP and not go with half-measures.
Always big thanks for all your e-mails and suggestions.

> Craig

Many thanks to the people on this list too.
I got many messages by various people who were more than
willing to share their experiences.

Thank you all.

Best Regards,

spyros

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise"
 - Vangelis