[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Graeme Wood Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 15:36:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Ralf Lang wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 16:40:34 schrieb Brent:
>> me it is going to the person
>> that sent the message.  Sure, there is a pop-up that indicates what is
>> going to happen, but habits are hard to break.  I think there should
>> be another button like Outlook has for "Reply To All"; or if you
>> insist on the one-button-to-rule-them-all, make the button text say
>> something like "Reply To..." and force the user choose what they want.
>>   I don't think any button with logic behind it should automatically
>> make a default selection, especially with a heated debate about what
>> the default should be.  Developers seem to like their feature, while
>> users/administrators want to change it.
>
> Sorry, you're misunderstanding me. I haven't developed this. But I like it
> that way. In both Kontact and horde. Users, that's also me. This is actually
> running in my company and nobody complains (our boss is a smart one).
>
> BTW, in thunderbird, when you hit "reply" in a mailing list conversation, it's
> reply to mailing list - not reply to sender.

This isn't true for me. There are two buttons in Thunderbird when viewing
a message sent to a list: Reply, which replies to the sender and Reply
list, which replies to the list but also provides a drop-down menu to
reply to all (list and sender) or reply (to just the sender).

--
Graeme Wood, Unix Section of the IT Infrastructure Division,
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.