[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:53:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> wrote:
>
> Huh?  No it doesn't.  Reply will reply to a Reply-To address just fine.
>  This is the way we have our commits list set up - replying to a commit
> message sends a message to the dev@ list due to the Reply-To.

Maybe you lucked out in that case.  It does not work properly with mailman
mailing lists here.  We always see Reply in dimp do the same thing as Reply
to All in the majority of other email interfaces.

The first question I got from the Helpdesk when I asked them to
check out the new Horde and test it was, why does it always Reply to All?
Then we had a user in real life scenario email a bunch of others which
should not have happened.  We didn't have these problems from
traditional IMP.  The proof is in from the Helpdesk and from the users:
Dynamic interface fails to reply as expected.  Period.

The idea to provide one Reply button is probably about as hard to
implement as one pedal in a car which intelligently chooses whether
it is gas pedal or a brake.  Interesting, but a disaster when it doesn't
work as hoped.

I vote for safety.  Give the users back their buttons they are used to seeing.

If you didn't read all of my other email about the interface and how I like to
protect my users from ruining their lives, go back and read it.

BTW, I am sending email from GMAIL and it does have these links at
the bottom of each message:

 Reply to all

But again, there is nothing to debate.  The users have demonstrated
Dimp is prone to loss of confidentiality.

If horde developers continue to insist they have greater insights into
UI design and this trumps end user problems, I can only conclude
this is an elitist attitude and this project does not serve our needs.