[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Sep 6 17:49:36 UTC 2011

Sveiki,

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

>> And totally agree with Jan: to those who think a user can't figure out a
>> drop-down arrow element provides additional options related to the top-level
>> element, a very common element in a variety of UIs, then you obviously
>> regard your users a bunch of complete idiots.  This seems entirely
>> unrealistic.

> The button used for the drop down selector is unrealistically small.
> I didn't notice it until much later in the testing of horde.

> I don't regard users as idiots.  But I do know they reply very quickly to
> email at times.  When they do this and they are tired (were you a student
> in University before?), or in a rush, or emotional, or focused on something
> else at the moment, a terrible mistake of Reply to All can occur, and
> potentially
> ruin their life.

It's  not  like  someone  got  jailed  because  of this. It's a simple
mistake.  Sometimes it could be embarassing. But really it's the fault
of   the   user  which  really doesn't read anything. Similar mistakes
can be made not reading other messages in the interface.

And   if   you   are   working  with  multibilion  dollar  deals or if
someone's  life  is  at stake, you really should re-read everything in
the email 10 times (including recipients) before you send it.

> I've seen a department head with a Ph. D. use Reply to All
> in error (not sure what email client it was).  So it doesn't link to
> intelligence.

And this proves my point above.

> Assuming users are always wide awake, completely read everything on the screen
> in front of them, etc., place full attention on the user interface, is
> just unrealistic.

> The best safety is to make them engaged in how they intend to reply, not
> starting on any default for all replies.

> We want the user's intentions involved, not the software's.

98%   of  users just hit Reply, they would never use Reply All even it
is  what  they wanted. And then you have messages not going to the list
but    to   the  sender.  Or  as  recipient  in  CC: you get only half
of the discussion due to broken mailing for exact the same reason.

As  an  email user I applaud current design and I think that it would
make an email world a better place ;)

--
Best regards,
 Vilius