[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Sep 6 20:28:11 UTC 2011

Zitat von Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> Rationality and real world evidence of
>> problems have no leverage against elitist software
>> design,
>
> Sure they do, at least in this case.  People pointed out a real problem,
> and asked for a particular solution.  That solution was rejected, with
> an explaination of why, and another solution was proposed.  Someone else
> proposed a second alternative also.  But for some reason, a few people
> keep harping on the original rejected approach, and giving no feedback
> on the other two alternatives, or suggesting yet another approach.
>
>> and given we pay nothing for it,
>> we cannot demand anything as paying customers.
>
> You could always pay for a custom build/support, if you wanted.
> No one says you have to use the free version as-is.  You can
> change it yourself, or hire someone to change it.  At least a few of the
> core Horde developers work for money as well doing custom features,
> installs, consulting, etc.

Now try to get the same from the Outlook developer team:

A thread with dozen of messages covering several days with an open,
mostly civilized discussion getting arguments back and forth,
including two versions of a potential patch for your suggested
solution, even though it was rejected, alternative approaches, and an
offer from the developers to contribute to alternative solution. If
that's not in the best spirit of open source, you should indeed look
for different, proprietary, locked-in software.

As Michael already said, this was an important and interesting
discussion that made us developers thinking about what we might have
done wrong or how the software can be improved. Sorry that we don't
come to the same conclusion like you do. You are free to patch your
version. Try that with a desktop client, let alone a closed-source
application.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/