[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 6 22:30:16 UTC 2011

Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> There is a saying: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.  I would think
> it is simple to ask for the IMP reply options for DIMP.  But the
> developers are devoted to the one button solution.

IMP has a single "button" (link actually).  There is a mouse-over, but it is
a single "button" which does multiple things.

DIMP has, in a sense, a single "button" or link also.  Or you could say
it is two, if you wanted, since there is an arrow that provides the
same functionality as the mouse-over in IMP.

So the difference isn't really single button or not.  The difference
is an automatic mouse-over that takes no user action to activate, versus
a small arrow the user must click on.

IMHO the problem is not that the proper solution isn't provided, but that
the proper solution is not obvious to the end-user in DIMP like it is in
IMP.  So the question becomes, how can we make the DIMP reply functionality
easier to see and use, e.g., more obvious to the end-user.

> I have not commented on the proposed alternatives because
> in my view they do not acknowledge and solve the problem of preventing
> accidental reply to all as well as the conventional dual button
> solution already familiar to email users from many backgrounds..

That is your right.

> There is a tendency in developers to seek out glory, and in this case
> I suspect it is getting in the way.  There is no glory in reverting
> to a standard solution, but if the problem can be resolved with
> an innovative approach, there is much recognition given in that.

I don't think they are really getting any recognition or glory for their
solution...  This isn't the kind of thing that really gets a product
recognition, or the programmer "glory" in the real world.

> Your site is using horde 3/imp 4.

Not relavent.

> I'd like to see what
> is heard from end users of other Universities as they migrate to
> horde 4/imp 5 with real world feedback.

Why not just remove DIMP, and only use IMP?  No one is forcing you to
use DIMP.  If DIMP isn't appropriate for your needs, don't use it.
It provides no additional functionality to IMP, so there is no need to use
it.  So simply don't use it.

> Our budget says what we can spend.  The same as we
> spend on postfix, clamav, apache, mysql, postgres, etc.: zero.

That is an internal issue for you to resolve.  There are ways to resolve
it (remove DIMP, or switch to another free product like roundcube or
squirelmail, etc).

The point is, you raised a valid concern, and it is being discussed.
Your point of view was rejected, and while the discussion continues
and other ideas are explored, you seem to refused to participate in
the process and keep harping on the already rejected solution as the
only solution.  Instead of trying to be part of the solution, you
are being part of the problem...  Again, that is your right.  But
it isn't usually productive.

Your best bet is to participate in the discussion.  Comment on the
proposed ideas with constructive comments (instead of "no, I want my
way instead", maybe say "that would help address part of the problem,
but I'm still concerned it won't address blah blah blah" or similar.
Maybe, if we all contribute to the discussion with constructive comments
rather than repeating what has already been rejected, we can come to
a solution that everyone likes.

But it is your choice if you want to do that, or not.  Just as it is
your choice if you want to provide DIMP, or switch from Horde to something
else.

I know someone suggested you give an example of a problem mail from your
mailman installation, and I've not seen you reply to it.  I've seen a
couple other proposals, which you ignore or reject but don't say why they
wouldn't work or why your way is truely better.  I've seen you make
the same assertions over and over (like almost everyone knows outlook)
but not replied when someone refuted it (by offering statistics about
it).  Yet you continue the same argument, without participating in the
discussion or responding to the replies.  And you expect people to listen?