[horde] the wicked question

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Sep 14 02:51:30 UTC 2011

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 09:05 -0400, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>
>> > all I wanted was a drink of milk, I get the whole cow.
>>
>> Well, you need at least a good portion of the framework libraries, and
>> the 'horde' application in addition to wicked anyway, unless you
>> already have a PEAR install you wanted to add this to.
> ----
> I do have a Horde 4 installation (via Pear) and I wanted to add wicked.

This kind of stable + dev environment is possible (I use it all the
time) but you need to know exactly how to do it right. And it may
require you to watch the current development.

If you want to inject dev snapshots into a stable Horde installed from
PEAR you should stick with PEAR. Which means you need to generate PEAR
snapshots.

Snapshots can be build using

  pear package package.xml

within the directory of a component (e.g. "wicked" or "framework/Db").
The result should be installable. This breaks the versioning though
and you jeopardize a clean upgrade path of your installation. The
snapshots you generate here are already tagged with the next version
that will hit pear.horde.org. So your installation will ignore the
next real release taking the snapshot for the real thing.

An alternative is to run

git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/horde/horde
php horde/components/bin/horde-bootstrap
horde/lib/devenv

[move to component now]

hc snapshot

This creates packages in the same way but adds a "dev20110914..." to
the snapshot. This means your installation will always pick up newer
releases from pear.horde.org when you run "pear upgrade". The packages
may need "--force" to be installed though.

I once blogged about this as well:
http://log.pardus.de/2011/06/mixing-stable-horde-components-with.html

> It sort of works - says my db schema is out of date. Won't update
> because there are methods such as removePrimaryKey & addPrimaryKey which
> are apparently not in the framework libraries of Horde 4.

They are - but not released yet. See the recent commits on Horde_Db.
You would also need a snapshot of Horde_Db to get wicked working. And
I think a few other updated packages as well. I actually did that
procedure last week when I was testing wicked. It required me to look
at the commit list though.

Cheers,

Gunnar