[horde] Horde logging. Syslog options

Torsten Krah tkrah at fachschaft.imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Wed Sep 28 17:31:48 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 28.09.2011, 11:48 -0400 schrieb Simon Brereton:
> My next question, therefore, is - what are the pros and cons of using
> Syslog?  Does anyone use the syslog option - and if so, why?  How do
> you have that setup?

I am using the syslog option - main reasons is that i have logging
delegated to well known syslog stuff. Using syslog you are able to use
all features you can to with your syslog implementation.
Don't know about cons - maybe someone else do ;).

horde config:

$conf['log']['priority'] = 'INFO';
$conf['log']['ident'] = 'HORDE';
$conf['log']['name'] = LOG_LOCAL7;
$conf['log']['type'] = 'syslog';
$conf['log']['enabled'] = true;

syslog (using rsyslog) is configured like this:

local7.*                        -/var/log/horde.log

/etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog - append the /var/log/horde.log file to be
rotated.

Thats the setup, works very well.