[horde] Upgrading to 4 from Groupware 1.2.9

Brian Spraker spraker at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 15:35:21 UTC 2011

Greetings all,

I am looking to perform an upgrade of the Horde system from Groupware 1.2.9 to the new system I've seen that appears to be stable and working.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the database transition during this time.

Currently, I have these items installed and working without problem:

Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 1.2.9
Address Book (turba) H3 (2.3.5)
Calendar (kronolith) H3 (2.3.5)
Dynamic Mail (dimp) H3 (1.1.6)
Filters (ingo) H3 (1.2.5)
Horde (horde) 3.3.11
Mail (imp) H3 (4.3.9)
Notes (mnemo) H3 (2.2.4)
Password (passwd) H3 (3.1.3)
Tasks (nag) H3 (2.3.6)
Vacation (vacation) H3 (3.2.1)

I understand that pear can be used to install everything - and I also see the files are available for download if I check for newer versions (Groupware shows 4.0.3 upgrade exists and Horde shows 4.0.9 upgrade exists - but all others look to be updated).

When I go to the page to download the updates, I'm quite confused as to what I need to download in order to perform the updates.  I could use pear - but I'm concerned how that installer works - and where the files will be placed (is there a way to overwrite the default install directory?)

Therefore, can anyone provide pointers on how I can upgrade to the newest applications and ensure that nothing in the database would be lost during the process?

Thank you!

Brian S.