[horde] Weather Block and the Weather Channel API
simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Fri Oct 14 14:49:06 UTC 2011
I guess - like a lot of people on this list - that this email from the Weather Channel is cause for some concern...
We are writing to you because our records indicate that you are a registered user of the weather.com® XML Data Feed (http://xoap.weather.com.)
As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new subscription service, The Weather Channel® API.
The Weather Channel® API is a subscription offering created by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they can use to power commercial applications across a variety of technology platforms.
Key Features include:
• access to the most comprehensive global forecast set available anywhere
• white label solution (no logo; no links)
• weather data provided by weather.com®
• data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
• leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
• product support for the world wide web, the mobile web, downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable mobile phone / smart phone applications
• multi-language support for English, Spanish, French, German, & Portuguese
What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel® API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your access to the weather.com® XML Data Feed will terminate at midnight Eastern time on October 31, 2011. To evaluate The Weather Channel® API as an alternative to the weather.com® XML Data Feed, please go to http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.
My question is - is there an Open Source alternative, and what is the Horde roadmap for integrating it in H4? We have 2 weeks to fix this before that block becomes 404.
More information about the horde