[horde] Marking messages as seen on delete

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Oct 24 18:27:29 UTC 2011

Quoting Ole Wolf <ole at naturloven.dk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>> ...because the meaning/use of IMAP message flags is dictated by the
>> IMAP RFCs.
>
> Yes, but I'm not asking for a new use of the flags; both "seen" and
> "deleted" would retain their meanings according to the RFC.

"Seen" means that a user has "read" the message (RFC 3501 [2.3.2]).
To "read" a message, this implies that a user has taken a proactive,
pull action to view the message (i.e. clicking on a message to view).
Compare this with a passive, push action, i.e. the MUA, NOT the user,
downloads the initial portion of the message to view as a preview.
This is not "read"

> Most email clients allow the user to mark an entire selection of
> messages as "seen" without ever displaying them to the user. Imp
> allows this, too.

See above.  This is a proactive action on the user's part to "read"
the message - in this case, the user simply doesn't care to view the
actual text.  In both of these cases (viewing a message, SPECIFICALLY
marking a message as read), the user has implicitly viewed the message.

> Deleting and marking isn't necessarily an atomic operation, so I
> don't see how an RFC applies.

Exactly.  When deleting a message, you are just marking the message as
deleted.  There's nothing in there about changing the seen flag.  So
the seen flag is irrelevant in a delete.  There is no implicit
understanding that by deleting a message, the user has "read" it.

A real-world analogy is useful here.  Say I receive a piece of junk
mail in snail mail.  I can actually open the envelope and view the
message.  Say I throw it in the trash after reading.  Anybody could
look into the trash can and determine that I have actually viewed the
message.

On the other hand, say I have looked at the envelope of the message
indicates it is junk mail.  I can then write "REVIEWED" on the message
and throw it in the trash.  Anybody could look into the trash can and
determine that I have actually reviewed the message, to the extent
that I have determined that its contents do not interest me.

The final thing I could do is to simply throw the message out.
However, somebody looking at the trash could not specifically tell
whether I have ever viewed the message.  In fact, it is equally as
likely that the message ended up in the mailbox by mistake.  This has
to be the default understanding, unless I have proactively done
something to indicate I have reviewed the message.

In short, Delete != Read

> Glancing over TFC 3501, I wasn't able to find anything either for or
> against marking deleted messages as seen.

In the absence of mandatory language, the default HAS to be leaving
the message in the status quo then.

michael