[horde] Marking messages as seen on delete

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Oct 24 18:34:46 UTC 2011

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Sveiki,
>
> Sunday, October 23, 2011, 9:36:12 PM, you wrote:

>>> I pledge in favor of a "delete and mark as read"-option to.
>>> Perhaps as another action in the context-menu?
>
>> Whilst I'm not against features being added in principle, I know of
>> not other client that has this.  And all my clients (windows, linux,
>> mac and web) display unread messages in the deleted folder.  I simply
>> either select all and mark read or mark read before I move them.
>
> My  main  problem is that IMP displays deleted messages as  seen  even
> if  messages  are not moved to Trash. So you still get unseen messages
> counter  near Inbox or any other folder. AFAIK at least this behaviour
> is  not consistent with other clients, because all other clients marks
> them as seen.

I don't think this is true (for the reasons mentioned in my previous
email).  I would contend that any e-mail program that marks deleted
messages as seen by default is broken.

I think a valid discussion is whether to count deleted, unseen
messages in a mailbox as "unread" for purposes of the UI (this is
independent of RFCs, since a newmail count in a MUA is a UI-decision,
not something defined by the RFCs).

> I'm  not  in  faviour  of  context  menu  for  this option, but a user
> preference would be nice.

I would not be opposed to adding an advanced pref for "mark deleted
messages as seen".  This could be seen as nothing more than a
UI-specific macro for message deletion.  And it indicates, like the
mark message as seen example, that the user has explicitly indicated
their desire to considered these messages viewed.  obviously, the
default setting MUST be off for this preference.

michael