[horde] Error: No connection to server

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Nov 4 18:05:44 UTC 2011

Quoting Joe Besko <jbesko at msu.edu>:

> I would suggest trying to use Xdebug to help resolve this memory
> problem.  When trying to resolve our "out of memory" problem with
> 50MB attachments, I have quite surprised at how much memory was
> needed to send a 50MB attachment.  When trying to send an
> attachment, PHP consumed about 7-8 times the uuencoded size of the
> file, plus the original 50MB plus the normal cost of sending a
> message.  In the end, I had to set the PHP memory limit to 650MB to
> allow 50MB attachments to be sent.

This is not true for IMP 5.  MIME handling has been completely
rewritten and it uses temporary file streams, and memory usage should
not be this crushing (some of the other reasons for this memory usage,
such as using PEAR's Mail and DB libraries, have also been changed for
Horde 4).

Although remember these points:

1.) Nobody should ever be sending 50 MB attachments.  MIME was never
designed to efficiently handle this kind of data load (size wise,
remember that binary data will be inflated an additional 25% for
base64 encoding).  Therefore...
2.) Don't be surprised when IMP takes a significant amount of memory
to process these kind of large attachments.  This would be no
different than having a web browser load a 100MB web page.  Further...
3.) If sending a 50 MB attachment, do NOT assume that the reader can
view/download such an attachment.

michael