[horde] Error: No connection to server

Ronan SALMON rsalmon at mbpgroup.com
Mon Nov 7 08:34:08 UTC 2011

Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com> a écrit :

> On 4 November 2011 12:12, Ronan SALMON <rsalmon at mbpgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com> a écrit :

>>> This doesn't explain why it's this one user.  This doesn't explain why
>>> the problem persists if I force all the users to log out and it still
>>> affects that one user.  This doesn't explain why it persists even
>>> across an apache restart.  This doesn't explain why that one user is
>>> still having an error today despite the fact that the memory limit
>>> error doesn't appear in the logs today.
>>>
>>> Finally, what would you suggest is a suitable memory limit for ~100
>>> users?  Currently I have 128M (which is about 7 times the php
>>> default).
>>>
>>>  456 ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB)
>>>  457 ; http://php.net/memory-limit
>>>  458 memory_limit = 128M
>>
>> This can happen (it did happen over here) when opening a message containing
>> one (or more) big attachment.
>

> I'm not happy.  I'm fully prepared to believe it's my server admin
> skills and not a specific horde issue - but:
>
> a) this only happened since the upgrade yesterday
> b) it's one specific user
> c) my user-base is miniscule
> d) my apache logs are not showing the memory error today at all.
>
> I logged into the users account with Evolution - their inbox had two
> mails (out of 12) over 1 MB - 9.7 and 6.2 - so 12 mails totalling less
> than 25MB
>
> I moved those mails out of the Inbox and the issue persisted.
>
> I raised the memory limit to 256M and was able to login on horde finally
> Log out.
> return the mail to the inbox and I'm still able to log in.
>
> Questions.
> My personal mail box is well over 200 mails and is much bigger than
> 25MB - and yet I don't have a problem.  Why would one mailbox with
> 25MB cause an out of memory error and mine doesn't.
>

> How does this scale?  I never have more than 30 simultaneous
> connections.  How do sites cope with 1000+ users?  If you need 256MB
> memory limit for 3 users (that's all I've had today, do you need
> multiple gigabytes for 1000+ users?

No, memory_limit is for one running process only, if you 3 users
connecting simultaneous, you'll get 3 processes.

I never experienced any problem regarding the number of messages. Some
of my users have more than 10k messages in INBOX! It was slow with IMP
4, but now with IMP 5 it's fine.

> Why is only one user affected when the memory limit is reached (and
> that persistently across apache restarts?
>
> Finally, I'm not comfortable with having a global memory_limit of
> 256MB for PHP applications.  However, if I add php_value memory_limit
> 256M to the .htaccess in the horde4 folder, I get an Internal server
> error.  How can I raise the limit for Horde and Horde only?

See http://wiki.horde.org/CentOS5InstallationNotes#toc11

Ronan.