[horde] Sessions consuming CPU

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Mon Nov 14 22:46:39 UTC 2011

----- Message from Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net> ---------
    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:52:03 +1000
    From: Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>
Subject: Re: [horde] Sessions consuming CPU
      To: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
      Cc: horde at lists.horde.org

>> Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

>>> Only if you can safely do so!  Assuming a private connection or both
>>> services on the same host, yes. Assuming the network between the two
>>> is relatively safe from sniffing, yes.  But if people have access to
>>> the network between them, then no.
>>
>> Yes, this is correct.  However, this doesn't mean much since, in
>> most situations, plaintext authentication won't be offered (as
>> required by default per the RFC), so there is no security issue.
>> Furthermore, TLS connections should theoretically NEVER fail
>> because they are required by IMAP4rev1.
>>
>> Further, I would guess a large percentage of users are running IMAP
>> on the same server they are using Horde on, so TLS would
>> theoretically not be needed in this situation (many IMAP servers
>> will offer plaintext authentication options on connections from
>> localhost).
>>

> IMAP is on a different server, I'd prefer to leave TLS on.
>
> The error message may be able to be safely ignored - but it occurs
> at the point in time that the CPU usage hits the roof and stays
> there. So if ignorable, then it aoppears to be a symptom of whatever
> is happening that causes the issue.
>
> I will follow up with the 'old cached javascript' and see if that helps.
>
> Although the fact that it does it even with no connected PCs /
> clients seems strange to me.
>
> The Horde web server was getting no HTTP requests at all throughout.
>
> Given that deleting the session files fixed it, should I be doing
> that when I upgrade? Or how else do I force clients to clear cache
> when some of them are not under my immediate control?
>
> Simon.

OK, it did it again this morning just after 7am. No upgrades have been
done, and nothing admin was happening at that time.

Started getting some segfaults in httpd, which are picked up
automatically resulting in a httpd restart and an email alert to me.
Noted 100% CPU.

Rebooted server, httpd continued at 100%.

Checked sessions, and deleted them all. Restart httpd - remain at 0%
until after about 45 seconds my wife's iPhone generates a session file
in /var/lib/php/session. As soon as that appears, CPU usage hits 100%.

I asked her to reboot her phone, and while she was doing so I deleted
the old session file. Upon her phone rebooting, CPU usage remains at
usual < 5% levels. Problem has now gone away for a while.

No IMAP errors this time, so that was a wild goose apparently.

Something in the iPhone session causing some issues? I have the
session file if it will help.

Simon