[horde] Horde RPC (MS ActiveSync) and Android 2.3

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Nov 19 18:08:26 UTC 2011

Quoting Huggy-Bear <huggy-bear at luukku.com>:

> Hello.
>
> I have setup the rpc redirector so that it shall emulate Microsoft
> Exchange over air. It seems to work just fine with Calendar at
> least. Notes and Tasks

Notes will not work, as there is no support for it in Horde, nor the
version of EAS that Horde currently supports. Tasks, however, should
work to some extent if your client supports them. I'm not familiar
enough with your device to know if it does or does not.

> I haven't yet tested, but what is interesting is that I am able to
> see some "Out" folder in the Microsoft Excange account in my HTC
> Desire. If I try to select another folder (like Inbox), HTC mail
> process will fail.

That is probably added by the client automatically. Mail is not
supported at all with Horde's implementation of EAS.

> I know rpc is not supposed to work with e-mail, but I wonder where
> from it picks up that "out"-folder (default)? Is there plans to add
> e-mail rpc for the ActiveSync/rpc as well? It would be very nice

There has been some interest in this on the mailing lists. This is
unlikely to happen, however, unless someone either is willing to
sponsor the (not insignificant) development costs, or provides patches.

> addon and simplifies mobile device setups. I presume now only way to
> use mobile e-mail is thru imap/postfix, not thru Horde?

Yes. This provides not only a more efficient solution, but also a much
better feature set then the version of EAS we currently support can
provide.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)