[horde] [horde-vendor] Horde 4.0.12 (final)

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Nov 22 23:44:04 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:

> On 22 November 2011 18:10, Simon Brereton
> <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com> wrote:
>> On 22 November 2011 16:52, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
>>> The upgrade instructions for Horde 4.0.12 have been missing some note about
>>> the new weather portal block:
>>>
>>> Upgrading Horde from 4.0.x to 4.0.12
>>> ====================================
>>>
>>> Weather portal block
>>> --------------------
>>>
>>> The weather.com website has dropped their API to retrieve weather forecasts
>>> with a very short notice. The weather.com portal block has been removed and
>>> will be automatically removed from the users' portal configurations too.
>>>
>>> A new portal block for weather forecasts is available, powered by the new
>>> Horde_Service_Weather library that supports a number of free weather
>>> services. To provide this block to the end users, install the
>>> Horde_Service_Weather library from Horde's PEAR server, and configure a
>>> weather
>>> service in Horde's configuration::
>>>
>>>   pear install horde/horde_service_weather-alpha
>>
>> Did this.
>>
>> Went to Weather Underground and got my key.
>>
>> Updated the horde configuration.
>>
>> Logged out.
>>
>> Logged in.
>>
>> Went to Portal, Add Content, and I don't see an option there.  There
>> is one, but that's the Metar weather that's always been there.  Am I
>> missing a step?
>
> Sorry.  Metar weather is clearly annotated as such.  The new weather
> features are just Horde: weather.
>
> On a side note, the refresh options are:
>
> Never,
> 30 Seconds
> 1 Minute
> 5 minutes
> 15 minutes
> 30 minutes
> Hour
>
> Even assuming that is only while a user is logged in (which I don't),
> it seems excessive.  Can we have 4 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours and daily
> and login?

I'm not sure the available refresh periods are are configurable
per-block. They very well might be, I just don't know off hand. I'll
look into it. At the very least, we can probably hard code the interval.

That being said, the weather library will cache the request for (IIRC)
an hour. So, as long as you have a cache backend configured (which you
really should), you will only ever hit wunderground once per hour for
any unique request. Even during heavy testing, I think the most I ever
hit the wunderground server was maybe 50 requests in a 24 hour period.
They have a pretty cool stats page that will show you your usage
history.

mike
--
mike