[horde] Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jan 16 20:14:41 UTC 2012

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hi Michael, I don't think this is about offending you. H3-ish dimp
> had some hacks and tricks to make it work as though it was a portal
> and we used that. Some of this has been removed in H4 because it had
> some quirks which never really worked out anyway (like the "portal"
> of dimp for traditional apps in inline mode, some configuration
> hacks for dimp sidebar) and when we're now looking forward to the
> new interface, this doesn't mean you did anything wrong five years
> ago.  In fact, dimp and later the new kronolith ui were "selling"
> horde to some I showed it.

I wasn't being offended.  I just noted some of the feedback was
focused along the lines of "your interfaces are inconsistent" which 1)
is the purpose of this thread, 2) something we already know and 3) not
useful - what is useful going forward is feedback on the proposed new
design, not how much the current interface "sucks".

My message was meant to explain the reasons why the current views are
inconsistent, which was a historical artifact rather than a mistaken
design decision by us in the past.

michael