[horde] Large numbers of open sessions

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Wed Jan 25 22:24:07 UTC 2012

----- Message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> ---------
    Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:51:01 -0500
    From: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
Subject: Re: [horde] Large numbers of open sessions
      To: horde at lists.horde.org

> Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:
>
>> Hi list...
>>
>> I upgraded my Horde install last night, after a couple of months
>> since the last upgrade. As a matter or course now I check Sessions,
>> and there were 3025 open sessions. Given there are typically only 3
>> or 4 users, I was a bit surprised at the number.
>>
>> The sessions are all (bar a couple) from iOS devices, of which
>> there are 5 currently registered to ActiveSync.
>>
>> In the 12 hours since the upgrade, 4 of those iOS devices (iOS4 and
>> iOS5) have added 224 new open sessions.
>
>> It would appear that for some reason iOS and Horde ActiveSync are
>> not closing and terminating sessions between them. Is there a known
>> issue with this,
>
> I'm not seeing this on my production machine - which is currently
> linked to 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPad, 2 iPod Touches, and 3 android devices
> of varying versions.
>
> That being said, ActiveSync, itself does not need the session and
> was originally coded to disable sessions. However, some of the code
> paths in the applications rely on authentication information stored
> in the session. See http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/9733
>
> --
> mike

(reply to whole thread)
Enough about Andriod already! :-D this thread seems to have ended up
about Android versions LOL...

I have my AS setup to do a forced heartbeat (110/30) I wonder if that
is why. I did that because syncing was terribly slow on device managed
(like, 30 to 45 minutes - there is a thread on this in the list). I
might have another play with this at some point... someone said IIR
that it is better on iOS 5, but we still have iOS 4 devices syncing.

Any reason why doing a "delete session files grepped for iPhone or
iPad" won't be a suitable temporary fix?

Simon