[horde] firefox, horde, phpldapadmin

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 19:32:30 UTC 2012

Hello people,

OK, I know this is not directly linked to the horde list,
however I do have horde issues too and thought I should share this
with you chaps.

After a lot of reading and playing around (see my previous mails
a couple of months ago) and since most people advised I should
go the "Ldap" way not the "MySQL" way with contacts (and they were
right by the way), I managed to make OpenLDAP work nice with horde
and my contacts and I am now proud owner of an OpenLDAP based
repository that has all the contacts info in there. There's lots
more ironing but for the moment i am happy as Lawrence. . .
So I thought I should go ahead and also install phpldapadmin on
the machine running mail/horde/mysql/openldap and indeed it works
like a charm.

In the beginning I almost went crazy. Here's why.
Even though I did my homework and built the ldap schema as instructed
by various pages on the web, when I tried to log in to phpldapadmin
it didn't work. Firefox would just time out and ask me what to do
with the page. Now I knew that I was doing _something_ wrong since
OpenLDAP would work just fine from the shell prompt (querying, adding
new entries, changing them etc.). But I couldn't find what was wrong.

Mind you, at the time I worked from my thinkpad notebook and ran
Linux Mint 11.0 i386/32-bit.
The exact same thing would happen if I would send an e-mail from
within firefox and try to send it. The message window (horde v3.x)
would never go away and the actual message would never get delivered.

Then one day I rebooted because I wanted to do something from window
seven.
I tried it from there; both sending a message from horde and creating
(deleting/renaming etc.) an entry from the ldap schema through
phpldapadmin.
It worked just fine !
So, I went back to linux (mint v11.0) and tried it again with firefox.
Nothing !
So I tried chromium (chrome but for linux). It worked the first couple
of times then the same with firefox.

So I am asking you guys if anyone knows anything on this ?
I try not to work on windows these days, since I realise that linux is
capable enough to do most of the stuff that can be done with windows.
So I prefer linux.

Thank you all,

s.

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise" - Vangelis