[horde] Can't sync calendar & contacts, ActiveSync, horde4, android 4.0.2

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Feb 2 14:47:35 UTC 2012

Quoting Daniel Basa <daniel at luli.de>:

> Hi Horde list,
>
> to cut a long story short:
>
> I can't sync my calendar (contacts) with active sync using horde 4 and
> android 4.0.2.
> My Galaxy Nexus tells me there are no calendars. The synced contacts to
> not show up in the address book.

Have you told Horde which address book(s) and calendar(s) to use for
syncing? This is a user pref in each application.

FWIW, this is the exact device I use everyday without issue.

> Here comes the long story:
>
> I have set up Horde Groupware Webmail Edition for use as a webmailer and
> to sync calendars and contacts with mobile phones using ActiveSync
> (android and iOS).
> My server uses exim4 and dovecot. Horde is authenticating over imap, so
> there are no horde specific users.
> I am using apache 2.2.14 with FastCGI on Ubuntu 10.04. I had some
> trouble getting the ActiveSync authentication to work
> but found a solution for it on the horde mailinglists (and on the web
> https://maurus.net/weblog/).
> Authentication seems to work by now. My horde activesync.log sais the
> following.

FWIW, this issue is described right on the ActiveSync wiki page.
http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync Though I really don't understand why
the workaround is needed, our http client normalizes those header
names - but that's a problem for another day...

> +----[ activesync.log ]
> | 2012-01-31T17:44:17+01:00 INFO: Horde_ActiveSync_Driver_Horde::logon
> attempt for: username at domain.com
> | 2012-01-31T17:44:18+01:00 DEBUG: [] OPTIONS request received for user
> username at domain.com
> +----------------------
>
> After having some trouble where I could not see my device in the Device
> Management section in the Active Sync settings I cleaned my MySQL tables
> and connected again. The authentication succeeded and the device was
> (is) displayed now in the Device Management section:
>
> +----[ Device Management ]-------------------------------------------
> + Device   |	Last Sync Time     |	Status
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------
> + Android  |	31. Jan 2012 17:44 | Not Provisioned
> +	   |			   | Device id:androidc1771218180
> +	   |			   | Policy Key:0
> +	   |			   | User Agent:Android/4.0.2-EAS-1.3
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Everything seems good from this point as far as I understand (don't know
> what "not provisioned" means exactly and can't figure it out - I am not

"not provisioned" means that that the Horde server does not control
the device's security policies and is unable to remote wipe the
device. It doesn't have any bearing on the device's ability to
syncronize (assuming you didn't configure Horde to require a
provisioned device).

> a native speaker) but, I have trouble syncing my calendar. The Android
> Calendar app does not show/find any Calendars. Syncing my Contacts does
> not work either, though there are no error messages.
>
> First I did an upgrade of horde (pear upgrade -a -B -c horde) at 17:47
> UTC+1 on January the 31st 2012 and restarted apache but that changed
> nothing.
> I am running horde 4.0.13 now (atleast I am told that by the help button
> from the horde webmail interface).
>
> I searched the mailing list (the web too but nothing found there worked
> out) and found two interesting threads
>
> First:
>
> Hanns Mattes device was not showing up in his active sync settings and
> he got the following sync.log
>
> ,----[ /var/log/sync.log ]
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 INFO: Horde_ActiveSync_Driver_Horde::logon
> attempt for: hannsldap <at> hannsmattes.de
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: [] OPTIONS request received for user
> hannsldap <at> hannsmattes.de
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 INFO: Horde_ActiveSync_Driver_Horde::logon
> attempt for: hannsldap <at> hannsmattes.de
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: [androidc1405421619] FOLDERSYNC
> request received for user hannsldap <at> hannsmattes.de
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: [androidc1405421619] loadDeviceInfo:
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: Resetting PING state
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: Resetting PING state
> | 2012-01-27T23:09:09+01:00 DEBUG: [androidc1405421619] Device entry
> does not exist for user
>
> In the thread (By Hanns Mattes; Title: Activesync) he was given the
> advice to make sure his database schema is up to date and to try
> migrating the activesync tables down, then back up. i.e.:
>
> $ horde-db-migrate /path/to/framework/ActiveSync/migration down
>
> $ horde-db-migrate /path/to/framework/ActiveSync/migration up

This was because his database schema was not up-to-date.

> I don't get such a log (see my log from above) but the aiding person
> said that his log was correct (except for the double PING). Thought this
> might be a clue?!
>
> Second:
>
> A thread by Martin Hochreiter with the title "ActiveSync | Android 3.2"
>
> He had the sync working with android 2.3 but with android 3.2 it is
> somehow broken and he gets only "no calendars" (from his calendar app I
> guess - like me) after configuration. Unfortunately he has some problems
> with the logging too and the thread ends with the next post. Giving no
> solution for the sync problem (at least not for me).
>
> Can somebody point me into the right direction or provide some insight
> if he or she has had the same issue?

I will tell you what I tell everybody that asks about issues with
syncing; We need YOUR full synclog. I am unable to diagnose or
otherwise help you without seeing exactly what is being sent to and
from the device. Even better would be a synclog AND a wiretrace, but a
synclog would be the place to start. See the above mentioned wiki page
for instructions if you can't find the options for activesync logging
in the configuration.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)