[horde] Installing New Horde WebMail - Different PEAR Install

Brian Spraker spraker at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 14:34:42 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Because of the Firefox 10 issues and not displaying some of the e-mails in the Dynamic reading pane of Horde 3, I've attempted to install Horde 4 again on my system.

I followed the webmail install instructions here:

http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/INSTALL

Because there were previous issues trying to get the horde_role value set using the system-wide PEAR, I installed a separate pear install.

Directory of webmail install is /home/webmail-new

These commands were run:

pear config-create /home/webmail /home/webmail/pear.conf
pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf install pear

/home/webmail/pear/pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf channel-discover pear.horde.org
/home/webmail/pear/pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf install horde/horde_role
/home/webmail/pear/pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf run-scripts horde/horde_role

I then updated the "preferred_state" to alpha:

/home/webmail/pear/pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf config-set preferred_state alpha

The script was run and the value set to /home/webmail

/home/webmail/pear/pear -c /home/webmail/pear.conf install -a -B horde/webmail

This installed Horde Webmail and all dependencies needed.

I then ran the configuration:

/home/webmail/pear/webmail-install

Everything was setup.  Using MySQL with most of all the default values.

I then added these lines to the .htaccess file:

php_value include_path /home/webmail/pear/php
SetEnv PHP_PEAR_SYSCONF_DIR /home/webmail

Opened the browser and went to webmail.  All seemed to work fine.  Continued to do the rest of the configuration.

Now, here are the issues that I am experiencing:

#1 - When I send an e-mail to anyone - even back to myself or my Yahoo account, the "From" says "To: Undisclosed Recipients".  When I look at it in the reading pane, it shows the name that the web server is running as (www-data) but does show my e-mail address as the 'envelope-from'.
#2 - That same e-mail does not show a subject.  I used the subject "Test" when I made the e-mail, but it says "[No Subject]" in the list of e-mails.  However, when I view the source, it does show "Subject: Test" in that appropriate line.
#3 - That same e-mail does not show anything in the reading pane.  However, when I view the source, I see both the HTML and plain-text version of that e-mail.
#4 - If I double-click on the e-mail - OR any other e-mail in my mailbox that IS working fine, I get the pop-up box but it is completely blank - nothing at all is in there.

#5 - If I go into Traditional view, I click to show my Inbox.  But, the entire list is empty and does not populate.  All of the buttons at the top all show up - but no e-mails are presented in the mailbox.
#6 - If I go into the Mobile view (not smartphone), it shows a very lean version of webmail.  But if I click on one of the e-mails to show it, the screen goes blank with nothing on it.

#7 - When looking at the log, I see lines like this appearing:

2012-02-05T08:01:52-06:00 NOTICE: HORDE [timeobjects] PHP ERROR: Undefined index: params [pid 3181 on line 18 of "/home/webmail/pear/php/Horde/Core/Factory/Weather.php"]

There might be other issues I've not yet encountered - but this is what is happening so far.  Last time I installed Horde 4 (several months ago), Horde 4 was causing the web browser to hang when the filters were being run with a lot of errors in the horde log.  This is not happening this time.

I would certainly think there is something not configured correctly - but I followed the instructions right on the Webmail Install guide.

Horde 3 Groupware Webmail is still running in another directory - and it is 100% working fine (except for that Firefox 10 issue and the reading pane on select e-mails).

Brian S.