[horde] switching to UTF8 database

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Feb 7 18:31:49 UTC 2012

Sveiki,

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Vilius Šumskas wrote:

>> Sveiki,
>>
>> Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 12:34:57 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Horde v3.3.12 (I know, upgrade to Horde 4 is on my todo list)
>>> with MySQL v5.1.  My Horde database is an old install that has been
>>> upgraded many times.
>>
>>> The character set in horde/config/conf.php is:
>>
>>> $conf['sql']['charset'] = 'iso-8859-1';
>>
>>> and my collation on the database and tables in MySQL are set to
>>> "latin1_swedish_ci".
>>
>>> I'd like to switch to UTF8.  Are these steps sufficient:
>>
>>> 1. Alter MySQL database and table collations to "utf8_unicode_ci"
>>
>>> 2. Set $conf['sql']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
>>
>> It  depends  what data is stored. See my older messages regarding that
>> on this mailing list. Or was it on dev at lists.horde.org?

> I searched via Google but nothing obvious turned up.  If you have a
> timeframe and a listname, I'd be happy to go search the archives.

Mainly these treads:

http://lists.horde.org/archives/dev/Week-of-Mon-20110718/026367.html
http://lists.horde.org/archives/dev/Week-of-Mon-20101213/025567.html

You  can  also  search  the  net  for  general tips and tricks how to
convert   data/charset   in   MySQL.   This  is really related more to
MySQL itself than to Horde.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius