[horde] switching to UTF8 database

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Feb 7 22:05:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Jan Schneider wrote:

>> dump all the databases to an .sql file.
>> move that file offsite.
>> do the UTF-8 change you're comfortable with
>> use mysqladmin to reimport it
>> stop/start mysql and see if it complains.
>> tell H3 to use the "new" db..
>>
>> Someone else can advise if you need to do more than that.
>
> It's not quite that easy, because that won't work with any serialized data
> that contains non-ascii strings. Those cannot simply be convert because
> they'd have different string lengths after that. This might affect identity
> data for example.

Is this really a problem for latin1 to utf8?  If there are no conversions
that result in a double-byte character, then I think it would be okay.

I wonder if I could test this with a string containing every possible
latin1 character, convert to utf8, and verify the string length is the
same.

Thanks,
 	Andy