[horde] calls to popen()

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Feb 15 10:55:58 UTC 2012

Zitat von Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:

>>> more secure.  Stupid.

>>> when hired, I will go to the client's
>>> PHP installation is now 100% secure!
>>>
>>> stop such nonsense
>>>
>>> there is NOTHING broken if anybody disables shell-access through PHP
>>> anybody who allows it should consider no longer maintain any
>>> production servers!
>>
>> What is a shell-access? It is access to the filesystem, that's all.
>> PHP as a programming language have gazilion ways accessing a
>> filesystem below, including file uploads and don't forget sockets.
>> And blocking those totally criples all major applications. Other
>> web programming languages doesn't even have such "security"
>> configuration parameters. And for a good reason. It makes no sense.
>> You have to ensure security on the system level, be it cgroups,
>> jails, selinux or apparmor.
>
> what is shell access?
> using exec('/bin/anything'); or popen('/bin/anything');
>
> this are features which NEVER has to be used in ANY common
> web applications, they are nice for php shell-scripts but
> NOT in the context of a webserver

As far as I know there is no currently no alternative to provide GPG
support other than using popen. And of course you should be able to
deactivate it if you are concerned about the security.

> any application relying on such commands in miss-designed!

Which would be the alternative to provide GPG support that makes you
say that the current solution is invalid?

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Core Developer