[horde] Horde 4 Debian 6 Install Guide for Dummies

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Mon Feb 20 14:13:13 UTC 2012

Hi Simon,

Am 19.02.2012 23:14, schrieb Simon Brereton:
> On Feb 19, 2012 4:05 PM, "Andreas Mauser" <andreas at mauser.info> wrote:

>> Hi Horde Users,
>>
>> I keep straight to
>>
>> http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/INSTALL#prerequisites
>>
>> but always run into different errors which surely are my own mistakes.
>>
>> Do somebody have a Installation Howto, Step by Step for Dummies, so I
>> can finally install Horde 4 on Debian 6?
>>
>> I also read the list threads for no success on my Debian 6 maschine. I
>> already use Horde 3 which I found easier to handle.
>>
>> Can anyone please draw my neck into the correct direction?
>
> Your mail reminds me that I have instructions I could format for a howto,
> but it really isn't difficult. And there are no hidden tricks.
>
> At this point it would be better to know what steps you've done, what
> errors you have and what you did to try and fix them.
I did as following:

Install Debian 6 and all Updates
Install apache2, mysql-server and PECL modules

pear channel-discover pear.horde.org
pear install horde/horde_role
pear run-scripts horde/horde_role
pear install -a horde/webmail - at this point I did not have
'webmail-install' available.

So I tried to install in separate PEAR:

mkdir /var/www/webmail
pear config-create /var/www/webmail /var/www/webmail/pear.conf
pear -c /var/www/webmail/pear.conf install pear
/var/www/webmail/pear/pear -c /var/www/webmail/pear.conf \
    channel-discover pear.horde.org

So I got 'webmail-install' available but installation failed and I
assume I have messed up PEAR environment.
Started from scratch with separate PEAR installation only I couldn't get
any further.

Interestingly I tried a couple of times and was able to get
'webmail-install' working and it looks like installing

But I do not get any web pages now, no database got installed, and
re-run 'webmail-install' complains about errors in line 17.

I would be so happy if anyone could really SHOW me what I mess up. The
instructions are so .. easy looking.. but I cannot get it working. Want
the old setup way back.

Kind regards,
Andreas