[horde] Horde 4 and attachments in mail view

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Mon Feb 27 22:07:02 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

----- Nachricht von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> ---------
   Datum: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:01:27 -0700
     Von: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
Betreff: Re: [horde] Horde 4 and attachments in mail view
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

> Quoting Andreas Mauser <andreas at mauser.info>:
>
>> with Horde 3 an email with an attachment was not shown with an
>> attachment sign in the mail list.
>>
>> On my new webserver I have this same behaviour. Is there a solution
>> that an icon comes up? I have seen in the settings that there
>> should be an icon.
>
> Then those messages do NOT contain an attachment.  You have to
> understand that what *you* might think is an attachment is not
> necessarily an attachment.  E.g. a multipart/related message, with
> images displayed in the message -- those images are NOT attachments.
>
> This is one of the reasons why implementing message forwarding to
> display the list of attachments to select/de-select is an absolutely
> terrible idea.  Attachments, as defined at the MIME level, really
> have NO correlation with what a user might reasonably think is an
> attachment.  Most MIME attachments are not discrete files that can
> be easily downloaded, at least with current browsers/Operating
> Systems.
>
> michael

Thank you for explaining that well and I fully agree on that.

I just sent an email with an attachment to myself, it arrives, I get a
notification, then I click on my Inbox and the only icons on the left
I can see is 'Personal' and Unread'.

Only when I open the email I can see that it contains an attachment,
in my case a simple .odt file.

Andreas