[horde] horde replacement

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Mar 5 09:08:37 UTC 2012

Am 04.03.2012 23:27, schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:

> Zitat von Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
>
>> Am 04.03.2012 19:36, schrieb Thomas Spuhler:
>>> It's actually not that bad if you can install it from a Distro and
>>> all the
>>> deps are pulled
>>
>> the distros are mostly not up-to-date
>>
>> so since we are PCI scanned weekly and security is one of our
>> most important things beside performance / deployment i built
>> horde, imp, mimp, dimp, kronolith... over years at my own as
>> RPM but there is no way to do this any longer for Horde since
>> the last major release
>
> Of course there is. I admit that I didn't do a fantastic job with the
> "components" scripts. But if there would have been some additional
> interest I'm pretty certain we would have been able to get the
> repackaging working pretty reliably. So far only Mathieu Parent from
> Debian invested some time in that and as far as I know it helped him
> getting the initial drafts of the Debian packages pretty quickly.

At one time I had an output filter for rpm specs too but it's rather
specific and more of the "initial draft" type. For actually maintaining
rpm-lint happy rpms (with proper history for both upstream and
packaging), I would need to do more parsing work and possibly add to the
Horde_Pear library. No schedule for that yet.

>> but not for the horde-developers, abnswer in a bugreport
>> years ago "fix your environemnt" - sorry i am webdevleoper
>> since years and i never developed anything where the
>> envirnoment has to be fixed for paths
>>
>> a webapp has to know it's root-folder and use absolute paths
>> first for clean running and second fro performance
>>
>>> I guess we all have choices and if it get's too difficult, they
>>> will not be included in the Distros anymore.
>>
>> i fear they are not interested
>
> I think all of the Horde developers disagree.
>

>> but who cares, form now on i have to maintain only a single RPM
>> instead a bundle of them and no questions what all of this
>> thousands of options in the inerface are doing from users

You can also create a standalone horde-all or horde-all-you-want rpm in
less than 5 minutes, at least with OBS. No distribution would accept
such a blob though. This is why openSUSE rejected the symfony "blob".

The distributions I am mainly interested want one package per library,
not a "libraries" package. I do the same for the 20+ PHPunit packages,
with lower priority though.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer