[horde] horde replacement

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Mon Mar 5 22:00:25 UTC 2012

Sveiki,

> Am 05.03.2012 20:22, schrieb Eric Jon Rostetter:
>> How much harder is it really to do a git checkout, tar the results, and
>> create an RPM from it than it was before to download a tar file and
>> build an RPM from it?  Yes, you may have to learn git, and how Horde
>> project organizes git, but is that really too much to ask?

> horde or any webmail is really not my life

> means i am responsible for a lot of servers
> responsible for al lot of services
> (dns, domain-registration, mail, spam-filtering, web...)
> additionally software development, security audits and so on

If  you  insist  of  using  RPM instead of PEAR for Horde installation
then: a) you  find  already  packaged  RPMs  and  install  them;  or b)
you package it yourself. Either way it's  *your  job*  as  sysadmin to adapt to changes. If you don't like the
changes  this  list  is  free  for  constructive  suggestions  or even
contribution. So long we didn't see either from you.

If you feel that changes are too much for you to handle or if they are
not worth your time, it's your choice. But for what it's worth and not
to  offend  you,  from what I see and hear you just need to change your
attitude    against  system  management.  This  is my proffesional 15+
years  opinion  as system administrator and IT manager. On one hand I understand why you
want to install RPMs instead of PEAR, I'm long time RHEL user myself,
but trust me there is nothing wrong to install
some  packages  with RPM and some with PEAR. And yes PEAR packages can
also  be  tested  and  installed  on internal disconnected systems. And if
you  really value your time, you would see that the amount of work you
save  with PEAR for every update is really worth those couple of hours
to adapt your infrastructure to changes.

I  think  everyone  already  had made their argument against every point you
tried  to  make   and   I feel like we are beating a dead horse here. Nothing
really more to say.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius