[horde] A horde messenger

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Tue Mar 6 08:08:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

----- Nachricht von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de> ---------
   Datum: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 08:57:41 +0100
     Von: Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>
Betreff: Re: [horde] A horde messenger
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

>> Yes, a small chat application inside Horde. There are some Groupware
>> outside having such chat application and I miss such in Horde.
>>
>>> In another language/framework/environment we used xmpp (jabber) for
>>> debugging, as a part of a die handler and for certain types of alerts.
>>>
>>> I have looked around, there is only one PHP XMPP library I found and
>>> it's been unmaintained for years. We probably would have to implement
>>> parts of the protocol for one-shot jabber messages to rooms or users.
>>> There is more stuff for IRC but it's also unmaintained and mostly PHP4
>>> stuff.
>>
>> But wouldn't it be an easy task to implement e.g. some jabber or such
>> into Horde? I mean, Horde is already there, so the base of all is
>> already there, and the chat protocols are already there. It would be so
>> practical just drop a message to someone else when one sees the other
>> online.
>
> I don't know a php library suitable for inclusion in horde which
> provides xmpp or irc. One could probably write up something isolated
> which only works inside one horde installation, but what's the point?

The point could be to just drop someone a message if he is online
which we used to to always in our office. It's so practical..

> Open protocols give us the chance to leave out the server part and
> concentrate on the client and make the application much more usable.
>
> Maybe we should offer this as a GSoC project?
>
>>> Sorry, I don't see this chat client coming in the near future but
>>> maybe you want to wrap some java chat into a minimum horde app for
>>> automatic auth. I could help with that.
>>
>> I run a cgiirc in parallel but I dont know how to implement it into a
>> Horde app. Also I think about when I open the cgiirc page its more or
>> less a bigger page than I am used to from a chat client, you know, a
>> small window with buddies in there.
>
> cgiirc is perl software. It's probably worth reading and learning
> from it, but it won't help by itself. When the new Horde 5 is out
> with its new user interface (and the inventory app which probably
> needs some tweeking to work with this), I can look at this again.

I would love it !! Please lets remember that when H5 comes out!

In the office we got used to the MS Office Messenger Client which
works afaik with MS Exchange. nd its cute in a small window with a
buddy list. Would be great if Horde gets a frame or such with the
buddy list and when one wants a chat a separate chat window opens up.

Thank you!
Andreas