[horde] Free Busy URL and self signed SSL cert

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Mar 20 09:08:04 UTC 2012

Zitat von Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> ----- Message from Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> ---------
>    Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:17:08 +0100
>    From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Free Busy URL and self signed SSL cert
>      To: horde at lists.horde.org

> I have cleared browser cache.
>
> The PC trusts the CA - see http://www.simonandkate.net/img/trust.jpg
>

>>> I experience the same: Everything alright. No error, no cry.
>>> SSL handling is transparent to kronolith code.
>>
>> It may depend on the Horde_Http_Client backend that's being used.
>> This could be curl, http extension, or fopen(). They may handle
>> certs and self-signed failures differently.
>
> The error message when googled returns a LOT of curl links. The text
> returned appears to be a Curl error.
>
> This article looks very interesting:
>
> http://unitstep.net/blog/2009/05/05/using-curl-in-php-to-access-https-ssltls-protected-sites/
>
> From what he is saying:
>
> "If $url points toward an HTTPS resource, you?re likely to encounter
> an error like the one below:
>
> Failed: Error Number: 60. Reason: SSL certificate problem, verify
> that the CA cert is OK. Details: error:14090086:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed"
>
> That is EXACTLY the error the error message that I am getting.
>
> Back to the article:
>
> "The problem is that cURL has not been configured to trust the
> server?s HTTPS certificate. The concepts of certificates and PKI
> revolves around the trust of Certificate Authorities (CAs), and by
> default, cURL is setup to not trust any CAs, thus it won?t trust any
> web server?s certificate."
>
> Note his comment that by default, Curl is not set to trust ANY CAs.

>>> Really? Then we should change the explanation.
>>
>> No, a directory is fine, but this is only used explicitly in
>> Horde_Crypt. Horde_Http_Client delegates HTTPS access to the
>> underlying backend.
>>
>> Jan.
>>

> If you add me to your address book, place the following Free/Busy
> URL in it - https://mail.simonandkate.net/kronolith/fb.php?u=simon -
> add me to a meeting as an attendee, and you will see the error. You
> can then even import the CA certificate -
> http://www.simonandkate.net/img/cacert.crt - to your browser, to
> your horde server, wherever you want... Try again. Still does it.
>
> This does not seem right to me.... the curl issue posted above looks
> remarkably like what I am having happen.

Indeed. To me it sounds like silly behavior of curl, if SSL_VERIFYPEAR
defaults to true but CAINFO or CAPATH do not default to openssl's cert
file resp. directory. IMO this should be handled transparently by
curl/openssl. Or is your curl extension or library compiled against
GnuTLS? I'm not even sure if this is possible.

Anyway, if curl cannot be convinced to use the installed certs
automatically we may have to add options to Horde_Http to set SSL
options. The http extension supports those too.

Jan.
--
The Horde Project
http://www.horde.org/