[horde] Addressbooks and Free/Busy-Urls

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Fri Mar 30 06:42:35 UTC 2012

Am 29.03.2012 22:00, schrieb Arnold Krille:
> Hi all,
>
> hope this is the right place to ask...
>
> We are evaluating horde for our groupware needs. The users come
> from an ldap, I defined a shared directory from the ldap to also
> publish users (and other entries) as address-book. Since all users
> (and their mail-accounts) come from one directory, I don't
> understand why horde makes a fuzz about free/busy-urls?

Because this is just your particular setup and other people have other
setups. I am very happy I don't have to patch horde for every
individual setup out there. The price is a little more configuration.

It knows
> the users and their calendars (and their imap), why doesn't it
> know about their fburls by default?

Because calendars match email adresses, not users. Users may or may
not have their email adress in an address book. Users may or may not
use an external fburl provider. calendar attendees may be users or any
other person in the addressbook, say, customers or peers.

> Especially since its providing them? I got it working by adding the
> urls two one or two test-accounts by hand, but I can't possibly
> bother my users with this (it will be N^2 urls to manage for all
> the contacts in all the individual address-books).
>
> I currently see two solutions for my problem: 1. Adopt the
> ldap-schema to provide the urls and fill them by hand. 2. Create a
> custom addressbook source that subclasses the ldap source but
> provides the fburls automatically.

2) Is overkill. Our local admin did a 10-seconds master edit through
apache directory studio and just put the FBURL per user in. Was no
hassle at all. Just add the calfburl in your add user procedure where
you create the mailbox, the ldap entry etc.

You could also write a hook which checks for the property and sets it
if empty.

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer