[horde] Horde activesync causes high cpu load

Hans de Groot hansg at dandy.nl
Wed Apr 11 06:44:29 UTC 2012

Hello ,

I tried active sync and actually got it to work with my android 2.3.5.
I added a new account to the stock mail client and  choose exchange as
protocol. This way I did not only add mail but also my horde agenda and
contacts.
The agenda and I think also the contacts worked, the email dit not work
but I rather use imap for mail anyway.

But there was a problem.

I found that my webmail  server had a high load and at least 5
connections open to my phone. I waited to bit to see if they went away
bit they did not. Mean while normal webmail became un usable slow. (like
2 minutes to load a page)

When killing the apache processes they came back again in a few seconds.

How many connections is active sync supposd to make?

Why does the connection keep using so much cpu? (ie 5% +)

If active sync uses a push construction does that mean that it always
has to keep open a connection to apache?

Can I tell horde not to allow the use of push but to only let the client
connect periodically?  (I really only want to sync calendar and contacts,
not my mail, mail can be read by imap)

I am really worried to enable active sync if that means that only about
15 users take down my server. (15*5=75 concurrent connections ) that
leaves nothing for the webmail!

Ps here are some line of my access log, maybe there was soemthing wrong
that caused the high load

POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&User=jan%40test.nl&DeviceId=androidc10021111111&DeviceType=Android HTTP/1.1" 200
76 "-" "Android/0.3"
POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Ping&User=jan%40test.nl&DeviceId=androidc10011111111&DeviceType=Android HTTP/1.1" 200
36 "-" "Android/0.3"
POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=FolderSync&User=jan%40test.nl&DeviceId=androidc1001111111&DeviceType=Android HTTP/1.1"
200 63

Regards

Hans

--