[horde] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Apr 24 17:59:40 UTC 2012

Zitat von Jānis <je at ktf.rtu.lv>:

> Citējot Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>
> Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:18:02 -0400:
>
>> What do they find annoying with the dynamic view? ?  Apart a few bugs I
>> find it very easy to use.. sure there are some space left for improvement
>> but that's why horde 5 will be better!
>
> it's difficult to say - some just asked whether the previous
> (traditional look) isn't around anymore, some expressed personal
> frustration... I can't give a technical "disliked because this or
> that did not work", so i found it much easier to issue "technical
> advice" how to get traditional view back on desktop.
>
> Besides, I think if the job is done, it is absolutely unimportant
> whether one used bells and whistles or just "traditional" tools. To
> my and my colleague's mind, forced introduction of something "cool"
> which makes just visual changes is the last thing to do in well
> functioning system.

I would say though that our intention is *not* to do something "cool".

Yes, we don't want to stick to the traditional mode. We can't change
the fact that technology is moving ahead and people are used to more
dynamic applications on the web these days. And to me it makes sense:
you can work a lot quicker that way. In fact you can easily replace a
desktop client if you don't need to work offline.

A good tool is all we want though: a webmailer that allows you to do
your work quickly. It's not about bells and whistles. We don't need to
be "sexy". But it must be something that people can efficiently use.
That is what we are aiming for at the moment.

Cheers,

Gunnar