[horde] Britain’s “cookie law” prohibits tracking without consent

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed May 30 16:31:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Simon Brereton wrote:

> Since I may to pay attention to this, can you tell me what impact not
> accepting cookies will have on Horde/Imp/etc?
>

> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/05/from-now-on-britains-cookie-law-prohibits-tracking-without-consent/
>

> Also, is there any easy way to put up a MOTD for this?

I use imp/config/motd.php in my old IMP4 installation.  I don't know if
the same file exists in IMP5.  BTW, I'm using IMP for authentication, so
this displays on the login page.

I suggest you display a message saying they must accept cookies if they
want to use the service.  That covers the consent part.

I wonder, is it really "tracking" if the cookies are merely used for the
application functionality?

 	Andy