[horde] Future of H4

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jul 26 16:54:39 UTC 2012

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> Dear Michael,
>
> I know nobody reported on this.  But, my users are finding it
> uncomfortable.  They say, H3 search was better.  It used to give
> options for searching From, To, Subject and body (they can enter all
> required values in a single shot, change and/or) and submit or press
> Enter Key.

Sure... because very often you want to search for something like two
different To addresses.  How are you supposed to do that using the old
UI?

Also, it was VERY rare that people would enter a single search each
for From, To, Subject, and/or Body.  We discovered that the most
likely scenario is that a user would search for a single header or a
combination of headers that did not match the

> In this new version, you need to select one parameter at a time and
> you have to click on Submit button (Enter key does not work).
>
> And moreover, in H3 version, the browser would remember the last
> searched values and hence, next time when you go for search, just
> type the first character, it would populate with older matching
> search strings.  This does not happen in new version.

This was definitely not intentional in IMP 4 - and this is completely
undesired behavior.  It is also completely browser specific.

> There is no doubt that, new search is feature rich, but lacks those
> above mentioned features.  Whereas simple search which is provided
> to search within the open folder has those features (without and/or
> functionality).

There is a "simple" search in traditional view that is pretty much
identical to the IMP 4 search (and which continues to be supported in
IMP 6).

michael