[horde] Horde RPC API (XML-RPC) possibilities

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Wed Aug 15 07:52:01 UTC 2012

On 08/13/12 18:15, Ralf Lang wrote:

> Am 13.08.2012 17:05, schrieb Attila Nagy:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Horde wiki (http://wiki.horde.org/Project/HordeImapLib)
>> proudly advertises the technical excellence of Horde_Imap_Client,
>> which sounds really good. I wonder, will it be possible to use it
>> from the RPC API with JSON and XML-RPC? Or is this possible now? (I
>> couldn't figure out how, apart from the few exposed functions,
>> which are not enough for complete mail-related operations) Other
>> modules have a broader spectrum of method-availability, but IMP
>> seems to lack these features (judging from the documentation:
>> http://dev.horde.org/api/imp/).
>>
>> With a nearly complete API coverage, Horde could be the basis for
>> other services (for example rapid interface development for
>> existing systems), by doing the heavy lifting itself (handling
>> e-mails/IMAP, contacts etc).
>>
>> Thanks,
> Can you list which api methods you are missing?

Here's what is available now: http://dev.horde.org/api/imp/
I can't even list a mailbox, get or send a message, it's just too narrow
even for the basics (or I really miss something).
The list would contain stuff, which is needed for reproducing MUA
functionality.
I think this could be a good selling point for Horde, exposing its
capabilities via external APIs, so its clients could use them without
knowing the internals (like calendar, mail backends etc).

Of course in its current form, it's just too much overhead (building up
and tearing down a TCP channel, authentication for each request etc - I
haven't checked if the current implementation can handle persistent
connections), but for low traffic situations it could be OK.