[horde] Howto change a username and preserve data

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Mon Sep 17 14:55:06 UTC 2012

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

>> Not a bad approach..  Exchange, however, does keep the username the
>> same. So, you'd continue to login with user.maiden even though
>> emails are sent and received from user.married - this is analogous
>> to what Jan is suggesting.
>>
>>> In the end, I might just have to backup their address
>>> book/contacts,
>> tasks,
>>> calendar, filters, and jot down their preference settings for
>>> each app.
>
> The problem is backends, In theory, each horde app might provide a
> migrateUserData(uid, uid) method like it provides all kind of
> import/export, authentication and permission facilities.
>
> But this would have to be implemented for various backends, too.
> Kolab, LDAP, files, maybe a CouchDB or Key/Value store - a horde
> native sql backend is probably the most trivial case. I am not even
> sure all backends for calendaring support changing a calendar
> owner/acl/manager etc.

I guess for non-Horde backends (Kolab, IMAP, LDAP),  Horde shouldn't
have to know about how to change those.  That can be done by the
Administrator of those backends.  As an admin, I know how to change
a IMAP username/password and Horde shouldn't need to know how to do that.
But if we're talking about Horde/Kronolith/Turba using a mysql backend,
then one would think it should know how to do that.

Not the end of the world, just would be much more convenient.

brent