[horde] Use of the HORDE product : GNU/GPL conformity case ?

Bernard TREMBLAY bty-opendev.horde at trebly.net
Tue Oct 30 11:37:09 UTC 2012

Le 26/10/2012 16:40, Jan Schneider a écrit :
> [...]
>>> nature of the problem and the trick to some clients and it is not normal
>>> that the consultant and/or opensource developer should be shown as the
>>> responsible of such situations (which seems to be frequent).
>>> The provider confirms that he has made no change but at the same time
>>> says "the webmails are just setup for consultation ans sending mails"
>>> and at the question which version of HORDE do you provide he answers :
>>> 3.3.5... !!!
>>>
>>> For my own, I use, install, develop opensource into opensource teams and
>>> make enhancements or changes for particular applications.
>>> I always indicate into the header of footer "Application using .....
>>> product GNU/GPL version :.... changes done in code and configured
>>> parameters".
>>> Into code I always add references to changes done.
>>>
>>> I think that we have to setup rules to avoid such situations.
>>>
>>> The incompetent or cheaters should be put out of harm's way.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Trebly
>
>> It might not be a violation of the GPL, but it could still be a violation
>> of the Horde trademark to use the name "Horde" on a crippled version
>> of the
>> product.  But it all depends on the terms of Horde LLC's licensing of its
>> mark.
>>
>> Mozilla restricts to a certain extent when the Firefox name can be
>> applied
>> to a browser based on its source code. Only unmodified distributions of
>> official stable release's can be called Firefox.  If you modify it or if
>> you distribute a beta, you can't call it Firefox or use the Firefox
>> icon or
>> other Firefox artwork.
>
> Neither the Horde name or the Horde logos are trademarks, so there isn't
> much we could do, even if we wanted to.
>
> It's always a tradeoff between having your logo prominently in the
> product to spread the word, and getting bad reputation because users
> confuse the Horde software with their e-mail or groupware services. I
> rather don't want to open that can of worms, especially since we simply
> lack the resources to take this on a legally safer ground and enforce
> our rights.
>
> Regarding Bernard's discussion about modified GPL software being
> provided as a service without mentioning any modifications: this is
> difficult terrain. As you already noticed, there is a thin line between
> code modifications and configuration, especially in such a flexible
> product like Horde which has tons of configuration options, hooks, and
> other ways to modify it's behavior. Plus it integrates into unlimited
> variations of backend infrastructures, that also influences the
> product's behavior.
> And finally, this isn't something we really have influence on, on the
> basis of the licenses we use. This had to be discussed in a forum
> explicitly dealing with Open Source licenses and their interpretation.

I have no authority, but I completely agree with both the comments of
Stuart and the synthesis of Jan.

I have no authority, but I completely agree with both the comments of
Stuart and the synthesis of Jan.

For my own and for action I would propose :
1- Open a discussion with as aim to list the content we could wish to
add at the licenses. For this, I have made and listed here some simple
proposals and the steps :
    	- Define what we could wish
	- Define which one and how to add a parameter (add in software) , with
his syntax, which would be  added to the version number when changes
and/limitations are done.
	- Draw up a simple text (fifteen lines) as summary of recommendations
to distributors (any type) about use of name of HORDE (complements as
"built on", "built with", "restricted installation", "with add-on") and
description of the normalization of version number use (extension of my
proposal... ?)

2- Execution
    1- Add the text to the license joined to the product and eventually
somewhere else with the title "recommendation and wishes of HORDE team"
about the implementation of the product.
    2- At same time add the parameters for version number with open text
for the comments of the author of the implementation
    3- After a while, time for reactions, begin lobbying, using the
preceding steps done, to GNU/GPL (aims : discussion of a text, vote the
addition of this text as optional complement of GNU/GPL, text , at
first, limited to "recommendations" in the application of the license)

Is it too heavy ?

Best regards

Trebly (nickname on net for Bernard TREMBLAY, on lists use of Bernard or
Trebly)