[horde] Install of HGWE 4.0

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:51:34 UTC 2012

On 5 November 2012 22:29, ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in> wrote:
> ----- Message from jan at horde.org ---------
>     Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:25:38 +0100
>     From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
>  Subject: Re: [horde] Install of HGWE 4.0
>       To: horde at lists.horde.org
>

>> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> Will I be able to install HGWE 4.0 using pear or not?  I just wanted to
>>> know, because HGWE 5.0 is already released.
>>>
>>> I want to just upgrade to 4.0 right now.
>>

>> Not really, at least not with the PEAR installer and its limited
>> dependency resolver. You can install it from your distribution packages
>> though.
>> --
>> Jan Schneider
>> The Horde Project
>> http://www.horde.org/
>

> Is it possible to name webmail as webmail4 and new one as webmail5, so that,
> it may help someone like me to install HGWE4?  Or setting some option with
> pear command like state=old or version=4?

This is the way I have done it.  I use the system-wide pear to install
Horde4 in a directory called /usr/share/horde4 and a horde-specific
pear install to install Horde5 in a directory called
/usr/share/horde5.  It's simple, just remember to use the correct pear
command for the correct install.

> I think, this is where tarballs which were earlier provided may be useful,
> which have been stopped now.  Sorry for troubling you. I know, you are busy
> with development, but as a end user, these are my problems.

Everyone has an opinion of course.  Untarring tarballs was possibly
easier, especially when scripting an upgrade, but the pear method
allows for easier uninstall and version control - it seems to be a
problem for you because your server is not directly connected to the
internet.  But as has been pointed out before, you are free to
download the pear .tgz files anyway.  Even though there are more of
them a simple bash-script should make it very easy.

> Are there any distribution packages for Redhat Enterprise Linux 6?

Dunno, sorry.

Simon