[horde] Problem with umlauts in signature

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Nov 6 18:47:50 UTC 2012

Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:

> Zitat von Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:
>
>> Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Not necessarily true.  The vast majority of Horde 4 installations
>>> would have used the old default value, so no preference values
>>> would be saved to the backend so there preference value would have
>>> automatically been updated with the move to H5.  Only people who
>>> explicitly changed this preference in the past will need
>>> change/delete the saved preference value.
>>
>> Well, since some of Jens' users appear to be sending messages with
>> ISO-8859-1 charset, I assume somewhere along the way they have
>> saved this preference in H4, which is now being used in H5. Since
>> this preference is now locked by the default in 'config/prefs.php'
>> they probably will not be able to chnage this, unless one would
>> unlock this value in 'config/prefs.local.php' (but that kind of
>> defeats the purpose of locking this value to a sensible default,
>> which I think is a good idea in H5). In that case the easiest way
>> to fix it is (as an Administrator) to just delete these values in a
>> SQL shell from Horde system wide.
>>
>> Best regards, Arjen
>
> Thanks for all the hints. After reading Michael's first mail I
> unlocked the preference and asked all my users (10 in number) to
> change to UTF-8. Reading Arjen's mail I'm asking myself if I should
> better delete that preference as Arjen suggests. There is no need
> for us to change from UTF-8 to another charset. What do you propose?

Yes you should delete. There is no practical reason to send messages
in anything else but UTF-8 these days.  Sending messages in any other
charset risks losing information/characters in the sent message.

Having said the above, I am going to go back and add an upgrade task
to 5.0 that deletes the current value of sending_charset.

michael