[horde] Signature

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:13:00 UTC 2012

On 6 November 2012 13:51, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:
>
>> Zitat von Ole Wolf <wolf at blazingangles.com>:

>>> I'm not sure whether I'd consider it a workaround or something worthy of
>>> checkbox. Most email clients that I've used simply append the signature
>>> in
>>> the compose window so you could delete it if necessary; IMP used to do
>>> that, too, so it's probably a design decision. In any event, I don't feel
>>> entirely comfortable about the implied inclusion of the signature that
>>> IMP
>>> H5 applies. I would prefer to see what's being sent in the email.
>>

>> I would also prefer to be able to choose whether I want the signature an
>> what signature I want. Should one make an enhancement on bugs.horde.org for
>> that?
>

> No - it's not happening ever.  This has already been discussed and rejected.
>
> If you want to send a message without signatures, set-up a separate
> identity.

In principle I agree with you - in fact, I think signatures are on the
whole completely useless and irrelevant and as much sense as stupid
legal disclaimers.

However, the world functions on a certain amount of perception - and
therefore some people require a signature to believe in the
professionalism or some other quality of the sender.  Thus, whilst new
messages sometimes require a signature I have yet to see the case
where a signature is required or needed on a reply (except by people
too simple to understand the concept or full of their own importance).

I've yet to win a design or functionality argument with any member of
the Horde team, so I don't expect to win this one, but a the ideal
solution for me as an administrator is a check box (either ticked or
not ticked by default in the compose preferences) that inserts or
removes the signature would be the perfect solution.

Thanks.

Simon