[horde] Horde 5 - You are using an old, unsupport version of IE.

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Nov 7 13:46:03 UTC 2012

Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Sveiki,
>
> Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 5:05:13 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Shouldn't this be <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
>>> content="IE=Edge" /> ?  I believe this translates to "use the most
>>> advanced rendering mode the browser supports".  So that IE10, for
>>> example, would use the IE10 engine, not fallback to IE9.
>
> Ahh yes, the IE10 is out. Then it should be:

> This  is a somewhat better solution than IE=edge because when a new
> version of
> IE  will be released, let's say IE11, there is no quarantee that Horde
> will  be  compatible  with newest engine. And that's why compatibility
> mode   exist  in the first place, e.i. to give time for developers fix
> their  applications  *and*  not  break  page  display if user upgraded
> sooner. So in theory we should first test and only then switch it
> to: content="IE=11".

I don't agree, we don't do this anymore in Horde_Browser or in the
test page for PHP versions either. It makes more sense to assume
future versions are backward compatible and only adapt if they aren't.

So I'm +1 for adding this header.

>> Reading this:
>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676917%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
>> It seems the better solution would be to specify a HTML5 doctype instead:
>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
>> I believe we are currently outputting XHTML 1.0 Transitional.  So the
>> real question should be - is there any reason we shouldn't be
>> declaring as HTML 5?

When we first had that discussion a few years back, HTML 5 was too
early, so we sticked with XHTML (actually we intended to convert to
HTML 4.01 back then). I'm fine with moving to HTML 5 with Horde 5.1,
because we don't have to change any HTML code for that. And we should
still stick to XHTML syntax rules. I consider the syntax-laziness of
HTML 5 a step back, and XHTML rules are compatible with HTML 5.

> !doctype  declaration  is  almost  the same as IE=edge. So if we would
> agree  on  IE=edge, probably,   yes,  the doctype
> declaration would be a better solution. But
> someone  has  to  investigate if doctype declaration actually *forces*
> user's  browser to switch modes. Even if he has Horde website/intranet
> in  settings to display it in compatibility mode. X-UA-Compatible does
> this.
>
> And  one more thing to consider is that this declaration is only
> available from
> IE9 and newer.   IE8   still  has  to  be forced the other way. But
> hopefully we
> will see less of that browser in the future :)

IMO we should be using IE=edge right now, and HTML 5 in Horde 5.1.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project